- 1 lb dried lentils, washed and drained
- ¼ cup of lard, bacon drippings, or oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 parsnip or parsley root, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 8 cups water
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- several whole black pepper corns
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large potato, peeled and grated
- 2 large links, or 4 small links smoked sausage, skin pricked with fork
- 2 tbsp good vinegar
- In a large pot, heat fat and add carrots, root vegetable and onions.
- Saute until onions are golden.
- Add lentils, water, celery, and seasonings.
- Grate the potato into the mixture and add sausage.
- Simmer covered 1 hour until lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Add vinegar just before serving and adjust salt.
- Serve with a crusty bread and salad.