- 1 large broiler Chicken, cut into pieces
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Juice from 2 large lemons
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cups chicken broth or water
- ½ cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
¼ teaspoon pepper and
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 cups sliced okra, fresh or frozen*
- 1 large Onion, peeled, chopped and browned in a little oil
- Rub pieces of Chicken with juice from lemons. You can remove skin from the pieces if you prefer less fat. Put the pieces in a covered container in the refrigerator to marinate for no more than 30 minutes.
- While Chicken is marinating, saute the Onion in a little oil to make the flavor milder. Set aside.
- Remove the Chicken from the refrigerator. Place the Chicken in a large kettle with the chicken broth or water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and cook slowly, covered, for 12 minutes.
- Add onions, tomatoes, tomato paste, rice, spices and salt and pepper. Cook for 30 minutes, until the Chicken and rice are tender.
- Remove Chicken pieces and debone as soon as they are cool enough to handle. Return the Chicken to the kettle (along with the sliced okra if you waited) and stir until everything is well mixed (and the okra is tender). Serve over additional rice, with some fresh fruit for dessert.