This international recipe has savory secrets: chicken and lemongrass. This poultry dish is made with real spices, fruit juice, sugar, herbs, and fish sauce and is great for breakfast, dinner, or lunch, as it keeps a golden taste with the poultry and skewers.
- 500 g. chicken thighs
- 3 spring onions
- 3 red chilies
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 eggs
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 10 stalks lemongrass, about 12 cm long
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- sweet chilli sauce, to serve
- Mince the chicken thigh with a cleaver, and set aside.
- Using the pestle and mortar, grind spring onions, chillies, and garlic until very fine.
- Add minced chicken and continue to grind till mixtures resembles pate.
- Transfer the mince to a mixing bowl, add egg, lime juice, fish sauce, cornflour, pepper, and sugar.
- Mix well, kneading until the mixture is thick and dough-like in consistency.
- Leave mixture to firm up in the fridge (about an hour).
- Take about 2 tablespoons of mixture and shape it around a lemongrass stalk.
- Repeat with remaining mixture until all are used up. Brush lightly with canola oil.
- Heat grill and cook the satay for 5–8 minutes, turning frequently until the chicken mixture is slightly charred. Serve warm with sweet chilli sauce.