Makes 6 servings.
- 1 Cup - Sugar
- 3/4 Cup - milk
- 1/2 Cup - butter or margarine
- 1 Tablespoon - Grated lemon peel
- 1/3 Cup - flour
- 1/3 Cup - cornstarch
- 6 - eggs, separated
- 1/3 Cup - lemon juice
- 1/8 Teaspoon - cream of tartar
- strawberry Sauce
- Strawberry Sauce:
- Thaw 1 (20-ounce) package frozen whole California strawberries.
- Rub through a sieve or strainer to remove seeds.
- Stir in 1/4-cup honey and 2 ounces amaretto (optional).
- Makes about 1 1/2 Cups.
- Butter three, 3-cup ovenproof molds or bowls; dust with Sugar and set aside.
- In saucepan combine 1/2 cup of the Sugar with milk, butter and lemon peel;
- Heat to melt butter.
- Combine flour and cornstarch; stir into hot milk mixture just to blend (mixture may be lumpy).
- Pour into blender or food processor fitted with metal blade.
- With machine running, add eggs yolks, then lemon juice;
- Whirl until smooth. Pour into mixing bowl; set aside.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Gradually add remaining Sugar and beat to form soft peaks.
- Fold egg whites into milk mixture, spoon equal amounts into the prepared molds.
- Set molds in large pan and pour in hot water to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake in 350-degree oven 25 to 30 minutes until lightly browned and set.
- Remove molds from water bath.
- Cool 5 minutes; loosen edges and invert onto large serving plate.
- Serve warm or chilled.
- Spoon some of the strawberry Sauce around the puddings and pass remaining sauce separately.
- Note: Six individual 12-ounce soufflé dishes or ovenproof molds may be substituted for the larger molds.