This ice-cold dessert is made with real lemons and gelatin and mixed with almonds, cherries, and lemon peel to help the rice maintain its sweet consistency.
- 1 3-ounce package lemon-flavored gelatin dessert
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 cup cooked rice, chilled
- 1 ½ cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, optional
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup chopped maraschino cherry
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- Dissolve gelatin in boiling water; add cold water.
- Place the bowl in ice water and stir until gelatin is the consistency of unbeaten egg whites; mix with rice.
- Fold in whipped topping until smooth. Lightly fold in or mix up with lemon juice (optional), almonds, cherries, and lemon peel.
- Continue to stir gently (over ice) until thickened. Pour into dessert dishes. Cover and chill until ready to serve.