These lemon raspberry scones are delicious for breakfast or even for dessert. Source
- 2½ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes, room temperature
- ½ cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (for brushing)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; reserve.
Place the flour, 3 tablespoons of sugar, baking powder, salt, and zest in the bowl of the Cuisinart Hand Stand Mixer. Using the flat beaters, mix the dry ingredients on speed 1 to combine. Add the butter and mix on speed 2 until mixture is shaggy. Reduce speed 1. With the mixer running, slowly add the liquid ingredients until just combined; do not over mix.
Pour the mixture onto a clean counter/large cutting board and add the raspberries; gently divide evenly throughout the dough.
Form the dough into a 10-inch disc, about 1-inch high. Using a sharp knife, cut into 8 even pieces. Place on prepared baking sheet. Brush each scone with heavy cream and the reserved sugar. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Let cool before serving.