The ground chestnut in this recipe represents the yellow dust of the Mongolian dessert. Serves 8 - 10
- 2 pounds fresh chestnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 3 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- a few drops vanilla extract (optional)
- Make a cut on the flat side of each chestnut. Simmer the chestnuts in boiling water for 40 – 45 minutes.
- Drain the chestnuts, allow to cool, and then shell them, being sure to remove all of the inner skin.
- Grind the chestnuts into a fine powder. Combine with the salt with the Sugar and stir.
- Whip the cream into the desired thickness and then fold in the caster sugar.
- Add the vanilla extract and lemon juice now if desired.
- To Serve: Either form the chestnut mixture into one large mound or form smaller mounds in individual serving bowls.
- Top with the whipped cream mixture.