These shortbread-style cookies always mean Christmas at our house. Chocolate lovers officially know it as a new holiday treat when it usually comes to desserts.
- 1 cup sugar, brown or white only
- 1 cup butter
- 3 oz. cottage or cream cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. grated lemon peel
- 1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate bits
- Cream butter, cheese, and sugar. Mix with the egg yolk.
- Mix with flour, walnuts, salt, and lemon peel
- Refrigerate dough at least 2 hours. Shape dough into "logs" - roughly 3 inches by ¾ inches.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 325° F until lightly browned (about 17 minutes); cool.
- Melt chocolate bits in a double boiler. Dip one end of each bar into melted chocolate, and then into the nonpareils.
- Place on wax paper to set chocolate. Serve hot and plain or with other desserts. Sell per piece, if desired.
Nutritional Information Edit
Servings: 4 dozen cookies