Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- Combine sugar, shortening, eggs, milk and lemon rind.
- Add dry ingredients to first mixture.
- Pour into greased 9 x 5 loaf pan and bake at 325°F for approximately 1 hour.
- While the loaf is baking combine ¼ cup sugar with lemon juice.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- When loaf is baked allow to stay in pan for a few minutes.
- Turn it out on a plate.
- Pour sugar and lemon juice over loaf and leave to cool.
- Poke holes in loaf with fork before pouring juice.