This zingy lemon loaf is made with freshly squeezed lemon juice, lemon zest, and sour cream, and is lightly brushed with a lemon syrup then drizzled with a lemon glaze.
- Have all the ingredients at room temperature.
- Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Grease and flour your pan. Tap out excess flour.
- To make the bread, in a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Put the sugar in a bowl. Using a paring knife, cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise, or add a fresh dash of vanilla extract to the main ingredients.
- Using the tip of the knife, scrape the seeds into the bowl.
- Using your fingers, rub the seeds into the sugar to break up the clumps. Add the butter, eggs, milk and lemon zest and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze: in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar and lemon juice.
- Heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Tap the pan gently on a work surface to loosen the bread.
- Set the rack over a baking sheet, invert the pan onto the rack, and lift off the pan.
- Turn the loaf over and, using a pastry brush, brush the top and sides of the bread with the graze. Let cool completely before serving.