These tangy and sweet bars are great for any time of the year.
For the crust:
- 1 cup soft butter
- 1/2 cup powdered (confectioners) Sugar (if unavailable locally, make by grinding Sugar in the coffee grinder)
- 2 cups of white flour
- dash of salt
For the filling:
- 1/4 cup of white flour
- 2 cups of Sugar
- 4 large eggs (5 Omani store size eggs), beaten
- 6 Tablespoons of lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- To make the crust, combine all of the ingredients well. Press into a 9" x 13" cake pan and bake at 350 degrees F for about 14 minutes or until light brown. Remove from the oven and cool.
- To make the filling, mix all of the ingredients until well combined. Pour over the cooled crust. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25–30 minutes or until the center is set and the edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool. Sprinkle the top with more powdered sugar or drizzle on glaze. Cut into bars and serve.
- GLAZE: Stir together 1/2 cup of powdered sugar with 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice and 2 Tablespoons of (prepared) milk.