- 250 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 60 – 80 g sugar ( ¼ cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- skin of one lemon - grated (or a little lemon extract)
- salt - a pinch
- 1 egg
- 80 – 100 g butter
- 3 tbsp custard powder and 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ pint of water (2 cups)
- 2 oz margarine (2 tbsp)
- 3 – 4 oz sugar (½ cup)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 lemons or large limes, squeezed for juice
- Mix all ingredients, line a spring-form or pie pan and bake for 10 minutes, take out of oven, then increase oven temperature to 275°F.
- Prepare pie crust, prepare filling:.
- Blend cornstarch and custard powder with cold water and put in a sauce pan.
- Cook gently until thickened, take off fire and add margarine, sugar, egg yolks and finely grated rinds.
- Add lemon (or lime) juice and pour into prepared pie crust.
- Whisk egg whites stiffly with a little vanilla extract or lemon juice and fold in nearly all the sugar.
- Pile on top of the lemon filling, make peaks with back of tablespoon and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 275°F.
- When meringue feels firm to the touch, take out of oven (about 30 minutes or more).