Leg of Lamb
Caramel potatoes Edit
- about 500 g (1 lb) potatoes, medium size, cooked and peeled
- 40 g ( 1½ oz) margarine
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- Put the leg of lamb on a grid in a roasting pan and pour 1 litre (2 pints) of water into the pan.
- You can also put the leg of lamb in a roasting bag, and then you do not add water.
- Place into oven, then heat oven to 150-175°C (280-325°F), and roast for one hour for each kilo (2 lbs) of weight.
- Pour the stock from the pan over the leg of lamb occasionally with a spoon.
- For the last half hour of cooking switch on the grill, and grill the leg of lamb on both sides.
- If you use a roasting bag, open it for the last half hour and grill in the same way.
- Sieve the stock into a casserole and skim off the fat.
- Thicken the sauce with flour, or your favourite thickening, season and colour with gravy browning.
- Add the cream and remove from the heat.
- Serve with your choice of vegetables and caramel potatoes.