This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Tassel Estate in Wylie, Texas in 1986.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large white onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small cans tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2½ ounce can chopped sliced olives
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 tortillas cut into strips
- 1 cup grated sharp cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped white onion
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- Brown beef then drain well.
- Add chopped onion, seasonings and tomato sauce then simmer 15 minutes.
- Add olives, corn and cumin.
- In a casserole dish place small amount of meat and tomato sauce.
- Add a layer tortilla strips and a layer of meat sauce then repeat layers.
- Add water to top of last layer.
- Cover and bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add grated cheese, onions and green pepper to the top.
- Return to oven and bake uncovered 10 minutes longer.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.