Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 8 cups beef stock
- ½ head cabbage, finely shredded (or equivalent amount of spinach)
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large red beet, shredded
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon bacon fat
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 peeled tomatoes, chopped (4 canned tomatoes are fine)
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 parsley root or ½ parsnip
- 6 peppercorns
- 3 allspice berries
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 head garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the stock in a large soup pot, add cabbage and potatoes and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix the beets, vinegar, bacon fat, sugar, and tomatoes in a saucepan and cook gently, covered, for about 5 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Then, in another small pan, heat the butter, mix in the onion, carrot, and parsley root (or parsnip), and braise.
- When the cabbage and potatoes are finished simmering, add the beet mixture, the onion mixture, the peppercorns, allspice berries, and bay leaves—and cook another 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped garlic, the remaining bacon fat, and the chopped parsley.
- Then turn the heat down to a very low simmer, lightly cover the pot, and simmer very slowly for about 4½ hours.
- Turn off the heat, let cool, and allow to ripen for about 12 – 18 hours.
- When ready to serve, reheat gently then ladle into bowls.
- Top each with a teaspoonful of sour cream and serve with a slice of dark rye bread.