This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Galvan Estate in Fort Worth, Texas in 1986.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- ¾ cup quick-cooking oats
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups sliced almonds
- 1¼ sticks unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F with oven rack in the middle.
- Line baking sheet with heavy-duty aluminum foil buttered generously.
- In a large bowl whisk together oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, chili powder, baking soda and salt then stir in almonds.
- Add butter, milk, corn syrup and vanilla extract then stir to combine.
- Scoop heaping teaspoons of batter onto prepared sheets at least 3 inches apart six cookies per sheet.
- Bake one sheet at a time until the cookies are flat and browned around the edges approximately 8 minutes.
- Cool on sheets for several minutes then transfer to cooling rack.
- When all cookies are baked melt the chocolate in a metal bowl set over a pan of simmering water then using a very small tipped pastry bag or the tines of a fork drizzle chocolate in a zigzag pattern over the tops of the cookies.