- 1⅓ cups onion, chopped
- ¾ cup carrots, diced
- ¾ cup celery, chopped
- 1 lb conch, ground
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 5 cups water
- ¼ cup bacon fat
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1½ tsp each oregano, salt, thyme
- 28 oz tomatoes with liquid
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ cup onions, chopped
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1 tbsp sherry and Tabasco, or to taste
- In a large stainless or enameled saucepan cook the onion, celery and garlic in bacon fat over moderate heat for ten minutes.
- Add 1 lb ground conch and cook another 10 minutes.
- Add water, tomatoes, plus juice, tomato paste, oregano, salt and thyme, cayenne and regular pepper and simmer for approximately 45 minutes.
- Add 2 cups potatoes and carrots and simmer for 15 minutes.
- If necessary add 1 more cup water to dilute to desired consistency.
- Add salt to taste and if desired 1 tbsp dry sherry and Tabasco.