Chockful of tender Lamb, this hearty stew is a delicious departure from the standard Beef version. Lamb stew meat is tasty, inexpensive and underused—at least on this side of the Atlantic.
- Combine bake mix, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Dredge lamb pieces in mixture.
- In a large Dutch oven or pot with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil over medium heat.
- Brown lamb in batches; transfer to a plate.
- Add garlic and oregano to dutch oven and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Return lamb and accumulated juices to dutch oven.
- Add tomatoes, water, vinegar and sugar substitute.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, and simmer until lamb is almost tender, 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Add green beans and squash to Dutch oven; mix well.
- Cook, partially covered, until vegetables are tender, 15 minutes.