- Pare eggplants; cut lengthwise into ¼" thick slices.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Cook eggplant slices in oil, a few at a time, until golden, about 30 seconds on each side.
- Add remaining oil as needed to keep eggplant from sticking.
- Drain thoroughly on paper towels.
- Cook onion in 1 tablespoon oil until tender.
- Set aside.
- Mix lamb (or beef) with garlic and spices.
- Spread rice in lightly oiled shallow 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Layer ⅓ each of the eggplant slices, lamb mixture, almonds, raisins, and onions over rice.
- Repeat layers twice, ending with onion.
- Heat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Pour beef bouillon over mixture and cover with foil.
- Bake until mixture bubbles and rice is tender, 35 – 45 minutes.