- 4 cups unflavored yogurt
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 garlic cloves — minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper — to taste
- ½ pound lean ground lamb
- ½ small onion — grated
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- rice flour — as needed
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped mint leaves
- Place the yogurt in a cheesecloth-lined strainer and let drain for 1 hour.
- For the dough: while the yogurt is draining, combine the white and whole-wheat flours and ½ teaspoon salt on a work surface.
- Make a well in the center.
- Mix together the whole egg, yolk and water; pour into the well in the flour.
- Using a fork, gradually bring the flour into the well to mix together.
- Using a pastry scraper and your hands, gather the mixture into a ball and knead for 2 to 3 minutes.
- It will be a rough dough.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Pour the chicken stock into a saucepan and reduce over high heat to ½ cup.
- Combine half of the stock, the drained yogurt, garlic and olive oil.
- Mix with a wooden spoon until light and creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside at room temperature.
- Combine the lamb, onion and parsley; season with salt and pepper.
- Knead together for 2 minutes; set aside.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Cover with an inverted bowl so the dough doesn't dry out.