Evoking a real combination of herbs, spices, and real fruit on meat, this mild, savory lamb dish is great with rice or other appetizers, as it maintains a white-hot kick with the meat, herbs, and spices.
For the meat base Edit
- 1 kg leg of lamb, chopped into serving pieces
- 1 tablespoon powdered cilantro
- ½ teaspoon powdered cumin
- ¼ teaspoon powdered aniseed
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 10 shallots, sliced
- 2 cardamoms, bruised
- 2 cloves
- ½ nutmeg, bruised
- 5 cm. cinnamon stick
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised (white part only)
- 1 liter coconut milk
- 200 g shredded coconut, roasted golden-brown, then ground
Spices (ground) Edit
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, chopped
- ½ tablespoon galangal, chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- Combine the powdered cilantro, cumin and aniseed with the lamb meat and knead.
- Set aside to stand for 15 minutes.
- Heat a wok with oil and gently fry the shallots until golden brown.
- Add ground spices, cloves, nutmeg, cardamoms, cinnamon, lemongrass, salt, and black pepper.
- Continue to fry until fragrant. Add meat and stir occasionally.
- Add coconut milk and ground coconut.
- Cook until the meat is tender and the gravy has thickened before serving it hot with steamed white rice.
Nutritional Information Edit