Purchased from Lowenstein Estate in Sunnyvale, Texas in 1997. Dated 1952.
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- 1 leg young spring lamb
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 20 small potatoes, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cups hot water
- Wash leg of lamb.
- Slit with sharp knife in various places on both sides of lamb.
- Slice garlic thinly and insert the slices in slits made in lamb.
- Season with salt and pepper and brush with melted butter.
- Squeeze lemon juice over lamb and place in roasting pan, fat side up.
- Roast at 450 for ½ hour.
- While lamb is browning, sprinkle potatoes with salt, rub with tomato paste, and let stand for a few minutes.
- Add potatoes to the baking pan with the water and lower oven temperature to 350°F.
- Turn and baste the potatoes occasionally during the roasting period.
- When lamb is done, remove to hot serving platter and keep warm.
- Increase oven temperature to 425°F and brown potatoes for 20 minutes longer.