- two cups dry chick Peas (about a pound)
- four to six cloves of garlic, minced
- one tablespoon harissa sauce (from can or jar)
- one tablespoon cumin
- salt, to taste
- juice of one lemon
- six tablespoons olive oil
- a few slices of day-old bread
- Wash chick Peas and soak them overnight.
- If desired, rinse chick Peas. In a large soup pot, cover chick Peas with water, bring to a boil, and cook until tender (ten to twenty minutes). Or start with two pounds of canned chick Peas, drained and rinsed, and heated in four cups of water.
- Add garlic, harissa sauce, ground cumin, and salt. Simmer for ten minutes.
- Immediately before serving: add lemon juice, olive oil, and bread crumbs. Serve hot.