- butter and flour a 9x 9 cake pan.
- Preheat oven to 375°F .
- Mix flour, baking soda and spices together.
- Set aside.
- Mix molasses and hot water.
- Stir and set aside.
- cream shortening and sugar.
- Add egg and mix well.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and molasses mixture to creamed mixture.
- Resulting mixture will be rather thin.
- Pour into cake pan and bake for 45 minutes or more until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before turning out.
- Serve with whipped cream flavored with pure vanilla and sweetened with sugar.