Dango on skewers are always sold at spring/summer festivals and moon viewing parties in Japan.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 4 servings.
- ⅔ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 2½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp katakuriko (dogtooth violet starch) / cornstarch
- 1½ tbsp water
- bamboo skewers
- Put rice flour in a bowl and add warm water.
- Knead the dough well.
- Make small round dumplings.
- Place the dumplings in a steamer and steam them on high heat for 10 minutes.
- Cool the dumplings and skewer 3-4 in bamboo sticks.
- You can also microwave on high for 7 minutes (you might want to put them in a microwave safe flat pan instead of shaping them into dumplings before cooking, you can shape them afterwards, especially if you want to fill them with an [azuki bean paste] or frozen rounds of peanut butter).
- Mix water, sugar, and soy sauce in a pan and put it on medium heat.
- Mix the water and katakuriko starch in a cup and set aside.
- When the sauce boils, add the starch mixture and mix quickly.
- Slightly grill the skewered dumplings and brush the sauce over them.