Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Thai prawn soup
- Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.
- Serves 4 to 6
- 2 pounds small raw prawns
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 cups hot water
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 stalks lemon grass or 4 strips lemon rind, peeled thinly
- 4 lemon or other citrus leaves
- 2 or 3 fresh whole birdseye chilies
- ½ pound fresh mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves (no stems)
- 4 green onions (green tops included), chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, quartered (optional)
- cooked rice
- Wash, shell (save the shells) and de-vein prawns.
- Heat oil in large soup pot and saute shells until they turn pink.
- Add hot water, salt, lemon grass or rind, citrus leaves and whole chilies.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain stock, return to a boil, add prawns and mushrooms (about a minute after the prawns) and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until prawns are cooked.
- Remove from heat and add fish sauce, lemon juice, cilantro leaves, green onions and the tomato.
- Suggested serving: spoon desired amount of cooked rice into individual serving bowls and ladle hot soup over rice.