Fresh fava bean and dill weed kuku
- ¼ cup vegetable oil, butter or ghee
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 lbs fresh fava beans, 1 lb frozen, second skin removed, or 2 cups canned
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh dill weed
- 6 large eggs
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 green Thai chile, chopped, or ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- ½ cup milk or soymilk
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese or shredded fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup drained yogurt, or labneh
- 1 pkg. toasted flatbread, such as pita, lavash, sangak or barbary
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves
- Heat oil in 10- or 11-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, and fry for 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add fava beans, garlic and dill.
- Cover, and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until fava beans are soft.
- Meanwhile, break eggs into mixing bowl, add baking powder, flour, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, turmeric, chile, milk and cheese and whisk lightly.
- Pour egg mixture over fava beans in skillet.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place skillet under broiler for 1 to 5 minutes, or until eggs are golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with yogurt, flatbread and Thai basil leaves.