- 1 1/2 packages of active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 2 cups Sugar
- slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar (As needed)
- 1 teaspoon crushed cardamom
- 5 egg yolks
- 8 to 9 cups sifted white flour
- 1 cup melted butter
4. Stir in remaking flour until a stiff dough forms.
5. Turn out on a floured board, cover with a bowl and let rest for 15 minutes.
6. Now knead until smooth and satiny. Place in a lightly greased mixing bowl, turn dough to grease top, cover lightly and let rise until about double in bulk.
7. Punch down and let rise until almost doubled.
8. Turn out on a floured board and form into two braided loaves or a pretzel shape.
After removing it from the oven, sprinkle with powder Sugar.