- 1 1/3 cup(s) uncooked brown or white rice.
- 2/3 lbs.lentils
- 1 1/3 Tablespoon(s) vegetable oil, divided.
- 2/3 Tablespoon crushed garlic.
- 1 1/3 can(s) of tomato sauce.(16-ounce)
- 1/3 cup(s) water.
- 1/6 cup(s) vinegar.
- 2/3 medium Onion.
- Cook rice according to directions. Rinse Lentils and put them in a pot, covering them with water and bring to a boil. Then simmer on a low heat until almost all water is absorbed and Lentils are well cooked. Add extra water if longer time is needed. To make the sauce, first sauté the garlic in 1/2 of the oil until golden.
- Add all of the tomato sauce and simmer 10–15 minutes. Add water and vinegar and bring to a boil. Remove from heat immediately and add salt to taste. Finally, slice Onion in thin, small pieces and sauté in the remaining half of the oil until brown and crispy.
- The dish should be arranged as a layer of Lentils (on the bottom), followed by a layer of rice, then another layer of Lentils and another layer of rice. Sprinkle the onions and the sauce on top before serving.