- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 lbs cream cheese, (room temperature)
- 1½ cup sugar
- 1½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- pinch salt
- 4 large eggs, (room temperature)
- ½ cup Brazil nuts, chopped
Sour cream glaze Edit
- 2 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- little grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp Brazil nuts, chopped
- Melt butter and combine with crumbs and sugar in food processor or with a fork until blended.
- Press small amounts of mix all the way up sides of an ungreased spring-form and then press the remaining crumbs over bottom of spring-form.
- In mixer; whip cream cheese on high speed for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar and beat for 2 minutes more.
- Add lemon juice and salt and blend together thoroughly.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, keeping the mixer on the lowest speed (just until each egg has been incorporated into batter.
- Fold in Brazil nuts with a spatula. If using food processor: put sugar in first.
- Cut each 8 oz block of cream cheese into eight 1" cubes and add the first 8 cubes to bowl.
- Process using on-off pulse about 25 times and then add rest of cream cheese gradually, until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- When it looks perfect, blend non-stop for 20 seconds more and then blend in lemon juice and salt for 10 seconds.
- Crack eggs in a bowl, break them up slightly with a fork, and then add them to batter in processor bowl, and fold them lightly into batter with rubber spatula preventing them from sinking to bottom.
- Cut the eggs in batter by using on-off pulse 10 times.
- Scrape down sides with spatula and pulse on-off 5 times more.
- Fold in nuts with a rubber spatula.
- Pour batter into crust and bake at 350 °F for 55 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before you glaze.
- Combine evenly and smoothly over top of baked filling, sprinkle nuts around border, grate lemon zest into the center as decoration, and return to 350 °F oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately place in refrigerator to cool to prevent cracks from forming in cake.
Most cheesecakes can be kosher for Passover if you replace whatever crumbs are call for in crust with nuts or kosher cookie crumbs.