Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Cabbage soup with beef
- 3 to 4 lbs beef soup bones
- 2 lbs sauerkraut
- ½ medium head cabbage, shredded
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- approx 28 oz canned tomatoes
- 1 large potato, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash soup bones.
- Place in a large sauce pan. Cover with 4 quarts water.
- Add salt. Bring to a boil.
- Remove scum. Continue boiling, covered, for 90 minutes.
- Remove bones and drain stock. Drain sauerkraut, reserving juice.
- Add cabbage, sauerkraut, bay leaf, and pepper to stock in saucepan and cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
- In skillet, heat oil.
- Add onions and cook until soft.
- Add to the soup.
- Mash tomatoes and add to soup along with potato.
- Cook soup until potato begins to break apart and thicken soup.
- Stir in sauerkraut juice, if desired. (If juice is added, continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes).