Cabbage soup with beef
- 3 to 4 lbs beef soup bones
- 2 lbs sauerkraut
- ½ medium head cabbage, shredded
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- approx 28 oz canned tomatoes
- 1 large potato, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash soup bones.
- Place in a large sauce pan. Cover with 4 quarts water.
- Add salt. Bring to a boil.
- Remove scum. Continue boiling, covered, for 90 minutes.
- Remove bones and drain stock. Drain sauerkraut, reserving juice.
- Add cabbage, sauerkraut, bay leaf, and pepper to stock in saucepan and cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
- In skillet, heat oil.
- Add onions and cook until soft.
- Add to the soup.
- Mash tomatoes and add to soup along with potato.
- Cook soup until potato begins to break apart and thicken soup.
- Stir in sauerkraut juice, if desired. (If juice is added, continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes).