Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Kombucha is the Western name for a fermentation of sweetened tea using lactobacilli and yeast cultures. In Russia, Kombucha culture is used to make a popular fermented beverage.
- Type - Medicinal Tea
- Origin - N/A
Basic Recepie Edit
- Natural or processed source of ferment-able sugars (White sugar, Turbinado Sugar*, maple syrup*, Agave syrup*, molasses*, Etc.)
- Tea (black green or white, oil-less teas (Camellia sinensis) are recommended. if you try other things such as herbs please do so cautiously and with a extra culture. some plants may damage the culture or create unpleasant flavors or toxic teas. if in doubt, go tea)
- kombucha culture
- about 1/4 cup of previous tea, or white vinegar (for balancing the ph level)
- pot to boil water
- glass jar large enough to hold desired amount and that can be cleaned (1 gallon reccomended)
- cloth to cover jar top (lets air in and keeps bugs out)
- string, rubber band, or elastic band to secure the cloth
Ratios will be based on personal taste and preference. starting with 1/4 cup sugar to 1 quart (4cups) of water is a good place to start.
- prepare the tea as you would for drinking; Boiling water poured over leafs (unsure about cold brew tea)
- remove the leafs or bags from the tea
- add sugar and dissolve fully
- allow the tea to cool to room temperature
- add the culture and previous tea
- cover with cloth
- secure cloth
- keep in a warm (80 degrees F) location with partial light (unsure if light effects it, but common rule with fermentations)
leave for 5 days or more (upwards of a month) taste with a clean spoon every 5 or so days. when it tastes good to you remove culture, store in a extra jar until next batch.
ingredents with a * are unverified but theoretical materals if you test please remove the * and leave a note about found effects, flavors or posable dangers. thank you.
Ingredient flavour lists Edit
please add your observations
Agave syrup: a peppery flavour. seems to ferment well. safe and tasty.
|This article needs some work. You can help by adding some more information to it.|