Kombucha is the Western name for a fermentation of sweetened tea using lactobacilli and yeast cultures. In Russia, Kombucha culture is used to make a popular fermented beverage.
- Type - Medicinal Tea
- Origin - N/A
Basic Recepie Edit
- Natural or processed source of ferment-able sugars (White sugar, Turbinado Sugar*, maple syrup*, Agave syrup*, molasses*, Etc.)
- Tea (black green or white, oil-less teas (Camellia sinensis) are recommended. if you try other things such as herbs please do so cautiously and with a extra culture. some plants may damage the culture or create unpleasant flavors or toxic teas. if in doubt, go tea)
- kombucha culture
- about 1/4 cup of previous tea, or white vinegar (for balancing the ph level)
- pot to boil water
- glass jar large enough to hold desired amount and that can be cleaned (1 gallon reccomended)
- cloth to cover jar top (lets air in and keeps bugs out)
- string, rubber band, or elastic band to secure the cloth
Ratios will be based on personal taste and preference. starting with 1/4 cup sugar to 1 quart (4cups) of water is a good place to start.
- prepare the tea as you would for drinking; Boiling water poured over leafs (unsure about cold brew tea)
- remove the leafs or bags from the tea
- add sugar and dissolve fully
- allow the tea to cool to room temperature
- add the culture and previous tea
- cover with cloth
- secure cloth
- keep in a warm (80 degrees F) location with partial light (unsure if light effects it, but common rule with fermentations)
leave for 5 days or more (upwards of a month) taste with a clean spoon every 5 or so days. when it tastes good to you remove culture, store in a extra jar until next batch.
ingredents with a * are unverified but theoretical materals if you test please remove the * and leave a note about found effects, flavors or posable dangers. thank you.
Ingredient flavour lists Edit
please add your observations
Agave syrup: a peppery flavour. seems to ferment well. safe and tasty.
|This article needs some work. You can help by adding some more information to it.|