Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1½ cups water
- 3 cups finely grated fresh coconut (or 1½ cups desiccated coconut soaked in a little water, add any excess water to the 1½ cups water above)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small bits
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 baked short-crust pastry pie shell
- 8 strips candied citron, 1" long by ⅛ " wide (or chopped peel or raisins)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Cook briskly, undisturbed, until the syrup reaches a temperature of 230°F (110°C) on a sugar thermometer.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the coconut and butter, and stir until the butter is completely melted.
- Let the mixture cool to room temp, then vigorously beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- In a small pan, melt the apricot jam over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Brush the jam evenly over the bottom of the baked pie shell.
- Pour the coconut mixture into the pie shell, spreading it smoothly.
- Bake for about 40 minutes (filling should be firm and golden brown).
- Before serving, arrange the thin strips of citron in a sunburst pattern in the center of the pie (or use raisins).
- Serve warm or at room temperature; can be accompanied by whipped cream.