- 1 pound Shrimp
- 4 water chestnuts finely minced
- 1 egg
- 4 scallions, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Shell and devein Shrimp. Wash carefully, and dry on paper towels. Mince finely. Place half the minced Shrimp at end of a large cutting board. Using flat side of a cleaver, draw Shrimp across board to smooth into a paste. Repeat with second half of mixture. (If you are using a utensil other than a cleaver, repeat the action.)
- Put Shrimp in medium mixing bowl. Add water chestnuts and mix into a smooth paste. Make a well in the center. Put in egg and break up with a fork. Add minced scallions, ginger and salt. Stir to combine. Sprinkle in cornstarch and mix well.
- Form Shrimp into balls one rounded tablespoon at a time.
- TO BOIL: Bring 2 quarts of water to the boil. Drop in Shrimp balls one at a time. Remove when they float to the surface. Serve with hoisin sauce.
- TO FRY: Heat 2 cups peanut oil in a 3 quart saucepan. Drop in Shrimp balls, a few at a time. When they become golden and float to the surface, remove them to paper towels to drain. Garnish with scallions and grated lemon peel.
- IN SOUP: Pre-cooked Shrimp balls may be added to Chicken soup with half a bunch of cleaned, chopped spinach or bok choy. Serves 4 - 6