The grown-up version of Hot Dog Soup.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage (about ½ small head)
- 2 small turnips, peeled and cut into 1 cubes
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced sodium chicken broth plus 2 cans water
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granular sugar substitute
- ¾ pound fully cooked smoked sausage, such as kielbasa
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in large sauce pot over medium heat.
- Cook onion 5 minutes until softened.
- Add cabbage, turnips, broth, water, bay leaf, caraway seeds, salt, and sugar substitute.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Cut sausage in ½" slices.
- Cook 2 – 3 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Stir sausage slices and vinegar into soup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.