- Soak Kidneys in milk for an hour and discard milk.
- Dry kidneys and remove any membrane or tubes or tough tissue and as much fat as possible.
- Slice kidneys and cut in small cubes. (smaller than dice).
- Into stew pot, melt 4 Tbs. of lard and cook Onion till transparent.
- Put Kidney dice into lard with onions and sprinkle paprika and salt over all.
- Cook for a few minutes to lightly brown Kidneys, add bay leaves and mace.
- Add water to cover and slowly cook for 30 to 45 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, see if the kidney dice is tender, and cooked. If it is done, remove from heat.
- If it is too soft, continue cooking for another 15 minutes. You do not want the Kidney to get tough.
- Stir two tablespoons of flour into a cup with 2 Tbs. of soft butter. Make a roux by blending flour and butter till well mixed.
- Stir this into the Kidney stew, and let it cook till it is thickened.
- Remove bay leaves.