This is from the Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook but I have used it and children like it very much. This one includes bananas but you could substitute orange juice for the bananas plus a bit of brown sugar.
- 8 cups peeled diced sweet potatoes
- 3 ripe bananas
- ¾ stick unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- salt to taste
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Place the sweet potatoes in a saucepan and cook until very tender.
- Puree the bananas and add the hot sweet potatoes, nutmeg, brown sugar, 4 tbsp of butter, and salt and process to blend.
- Melt the remaining 2t of butter in a small skillet and brown the almonds.
- Add almonds to the top of the purée.