- Ethnicity - Awadhi, North Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- 400 gms. Yellow pumpkin
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 tsp. fenugreek seeds (Meyhi Dana)
- 1 tbsp. grated ginger
- 2 Green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp. garam masala powder
- 1 tsp. Red chilli powder or to taste
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. Sugar
- 11/2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Fresh Coriander, washed and finely chopped
- 3-4 tbsp. oil
- Peel, wash and cut pumpkin into !" pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add asafoetida, fenugreek seeds. Now add ginger. When it turns brown add green chillies and pumpkin and mix.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and red chilli powder and mix well. Cover and cook on a medium heat for 10–12 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Now add Sugar and lemon juice, mix well. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes or until done. The pumpkin pieces should look like mashed.
- Garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot with pooris.
- Variation : In place of lemon juice. 1 tbsp. tamarind extract can be used. Add the extarct when pumpkin is almost cooked