Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Roasted lamb, Ouzi
- 24 - 28 lbs small lamb (cleaned from inside)
- 4 lbs minced meat
- 12 cups long-grain rice, washed and drained
- 24 cups water
- 1 tbls salt (optional)
- 1½ cups blanched and flaked, fried almonds
- ½ cup fried pine nuts
- 1½ cups blanched, fried pistachio nuts
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp ground cardamom
- 1 cup vegetable oil and butter
- 1 cup shortening or butter (for frying minced meat)
- lemon wedges
- Fry meat in 1 cup of shortening in a pot.
- Add salt and spices (except white pepper). Stir on medium heat until cooked.
- Stir in rice to cooked meat.
- Add water. Bring to a boil. Cover pot and cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Wipe lamb inside and out with a damp cloth. Rub cavity and outer surface with lemon wedges and white pepper.
- Stuff lamb with half the quantity of rice. Stitch opening.
- Fry with oil and butter from all sides until golden.
- Place aluminum foil on a big tray leaving extra on each side. Place the stuffed lamb on the foil. Pour 3 cups of water over.
- Truss Lamb legs with its shoulders using a firm rope. Wrap lamb generously with the foil.
- Place tray in high heat oven about 425 °F for 5 hours, or until tender when pierced but still moist inside (add water if foil burns).
- Remove lamb from oven. Open aluminum foil. Lift up slowly. Place on large serving platter.
- Arrange rice and meat around it. Garnish rice with pistachio nuts, almonds and pine nuts.
- Serve hot accompanied with yoghurt and salads.