Roasted lamb, Ouzi
- 24 - 28 lbs small lamb (cleaned from inside)
- 4 lbs minced meat
- 12 cups long-grain rice, washed and drained
- 24 cups water
- 1 tbls salt (optional)
- 1½ cups blanched and flaked, fried almonds
- ½ cup fried pine nuts
- 1½ cups blanched, fried pistachio nuts
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp ground cardamom
- 1 cup vegetable oil and butter
- 1 cup shortening or butter (for frying minced meat)
- lemon wedges
- Fry meat in 1 cup of shortening in a pot.
- Add salt and spices (except white pepper). Stir on medium heat until cooked.
- Stir in rice to cooked meat.
- Add water. Bring to a boil. Cover pot and cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Wipe lamb inside and out with a damp cloth. Rub cavity and outer surface with lemon wedges and white pepper.
- Stuff lamb with half the quantity of rice. Stitch opening.
- Fry with oil and butter from all sides until golden.
- Place aluminum foil on a big tray leaving extra on each side. Place the stuffed lamb on the foil. Pour 3 cups of water over.
- Truss Lamb legs with its shoulders using a firm rope. Wrap lamb generously with the foil.
- Place tray in high heat oven about 425 °F for 5 hours, or until tender when pierced but still moist inside (add water if foil burns).
- Remove lamb from oven. Open aluminum foil. Lift up slowly. Place on large serving platter.
- Arrange rice and meat around it. Garnish rice with pistachio nuts, almonds and pine nuts.
- Serve hot accompanied with yoghurt and salads.