Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp shortening or lard
- ½ tsp ginger
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ cup hot water
- 1¼ cups flour, sifted
- ½ cup molasses
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Cream together the butter, shortening or lard (lard was used in the authentic recipes), and sugar.
- Beat the eggs well, and stir into the butter mixture, along with the molasses.
- Sift the dry ingredients together onto a sheet of wax paper; pour into butter mixture, mix lightly.
- Add hot water.
- Beat hard to make a smooth batter.
- Cook in pre-heated waffle iron and bake 3 – 5 minutes, or until waffle is done to the desired color and steaming stops.
- Serve with vanilla flavored whipped cream or brown sugar sauce.