Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This Ghanian recipe is served as a dessert. More to American taste is to present it as a side dish; Traditionally it's cooked in masses of hot oil, Don't skimp on the hot pepper; it won't bite in this dish!
- 2 or 3 well-ripened yellow plantains (cooking bananas)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper, ground
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped, OR
- 1 1/2 tablespoons candied chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt or salt substitute
Peel the plantains and cut on the diagonal into 1/2 inch thick pieces. Place in a large bowl; add the spices and mix well to coat the plantains. If desired, place in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to help develop the flavors.
Heat some of the remaining oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add plantains in a single layer. Sauté until browned, turn over and brown other side. Repeat until all the plantains are cooked.
Serve hot and enjoy!