- 1/2 kilo kataifi pastry
- 3/4 cup of melted butter
- 1 1/2 cup of coarsely chopped almonds
- 1 1/2 cup of coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3 tblsp of caster sugar
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 2 tblsp of commandaria (sweet red wine)
For the syrup:
- 2 1/2 cups of Sugar
- 3 cups of hot water
- the rind of half an orange
- small pieces of cinnamon bark
- 3 cloves
- 2 tblsp of lemon juice
- In a bowl mix both kinds of nuts with Sugar. Add egg and wine and blend well into a soft and smooth filling.
- Take a handful of kataifi pastry, spread slightly the threads into a square. Fold both ends into a rectangle and with brush dab with butter.
- Take a tablespoon of filling and spread it lengthwise on one side of the pastry.
- Roll up pastry around the filling into 3 inch long tubes. Repeat procedure to make the other kataifi and place them next to each other in a greased oven dish.
- Sprinkle the rest of the butter on top and bake kataifi in a moderate oven for about 45 minutes until golden.
- In the meantime dissolve Sugar in a saucepan with hot water, add the remaining syrup ingredients and let boil for about 15 minutes until a thin syrup is formed.
- Remove orange rind and cloves and leave syrup to cool.
- Remove kataifi from oven and while hot pour over the cooled syrup.
- Cover pastries with think serviette and leave for one hour to absorb the syrup and become soft.