Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Japanese Sponge Cake
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 7 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon green tea powder or unsweetened cocoa powder (optional-if using omit the lemon extract)
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Use parchment to line the bottom of a 10-inch tube pan, preferably with a removable bottom or 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans. Grease the parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk 1 cup sugar, honey, vanilla, lemon extract, and salt into egg yolks.
- Place bowl in a large pan of hot water.
- With an electric mixer, beat about 5 minutes on medium-high speed until pale yellow and doubled in volume.
- Gently fold in sifted flour
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites in electric mixer on a low speed 1 minute, increasing speed to medium-high.
- When foamy, sprinkle in 1 tablespoon sugar and cream of tartar.
- Beat until stiff but not dry.
- With a spatula, fold the egg whites in thirds. Pour batter into pan.
- Tap gently on the counter to remove air bubbles
- Place on middle rack of oven 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- When done, cake sides will pull away from pan slightly; top will be flat and feel spongy when pressed with finger.
- Cool 20 minutes.
- Run a small knife between edge of cake and pan. Remove from pan carefully.
- Pull off parchment and cool completely.
- Serve or store airtight.