Lamb Cooked Kashmiri style
- Ethnicity - Kashmiri, North Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- 2 lbs lamb, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 6 oz ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tsp sonth (ginger powder)
- 1 tbsp saunf (fennel seeds)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 garlic cloves, minced finely
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri mirch (Kashmiri red pepper powder or cayenne)
- 1 tsp shahi zeera (black cumin seeds)
- 6 cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 1 tej patta (bay leaf)
- 1 tsp zaafraan (saffron), gently toasted and ground
- 1 cup dahee (yogurt)
- 1 tsp heeng (asafoetida)
- salt to taste
- Clean, wash and remove all fat from the Lamb and set aside.
- Grind together all the spices in a mortar and pestle or a coffee grinder.
- Soak saffron in the yogurt and set aside.
- Heat ghee and add the heeng into it and cook for a few seconds.
- Add the Lamb to this and sear on all sides, frying until well browned.
- Pour the saffron yogurt mix and fry until all liquid is absorbed.
- Add a cup and a half of water and the ground spices.
- Bring the contents of the pan a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until tender.
- Uncover and cook until excess liquid is evaporated.