Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Lamb Cooked Kashmiri style
- Ethnicity - Kashmiri, North Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- 2 lbs lamb, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 6 oz ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tsp sonth (ginger powder)
- 1 tbsp saunf (fennel seeds)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 garlic cloves, minced finely
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri mirch (Kashmiri red pepper powder or cayenne)
- 1 tsp shahi zeera (black cumin seeds)
- 6 cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 1 tej patta (bay leaf)
- 1 tsp zaafraan (saffron), gently toasted and ground
- 1 cup dahee (yogurt)
- 1 tsp heeng (asafoetida)
- salt to taste
- Clean, wash and remove all fat from the Lamb and set aside.
- Grind together all the spices in a mortar and pestle or a coffee grinder.
- Soak saffron in the yogurt and set aside.
- Heat ghee and add the heeng into it and cook for a few seconds.
- Add the Lamb to this and sear on all sides, frying until well browned.
- Pour the saffron yogurt mix and fry until all liquid is absorbed.
- Add a cup and a half of water and the ground spices.
- Bring the contents of the pan a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until tender.
- Uncover and cook until excess liquid is evaporated.