- 1 (3 to 5 pound) oxtail, leg or tripe
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium size onion, sliced
- water from ¼ cup annatto, soaked
- 1 banana heart, sliced crosswise
- 2 bundles string bean (sitaw), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 eggplants, cut into ½-inch slices
- ⅓ cup rice, toasted brown in a pan and ground to a powder
- ½ cup peanut butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- MSG (optional)
- Boil oxtail in 8 cups water for 2 hours or until tender.
- Set stock aside.
- Saute garlic and onion in oil in a large saucepan.
- Discard anatto seeds and add annatto water and oxtail to saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Stir in roast rice powder and peanut butter.
- Add four cups reserved stock, eggplant, string beans and banana heart and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with bagoong or shrimp paste.