Thai Chicken and Rice Soup - A nice warming soup that spices without the use of chilies..of course, if you can't help yourself, go ahead and toss a few in! ;)
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (mixed with 1 tsp. salt)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 1½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon white pepper (or to taste)
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup chopped celery leaves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a medium size pot over low heat, simmer rice, water and salt for about an hour or so until rice is soft.
- Marinate chicken in lime juice/salt for about 5 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat oil and saute onion and garlic until tender; add white pepper and marinated chicken.
- Cook, stirring for 10 minutes or so.
- In small bowls, put 1 cup of heated rice broth and sprinkle with chicken, chopped green onion, celery leaves, and cilantro.