Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Prep Time: 60 Minutes
Cook time: 20 Minutes
Kampyo is the dried gourd that is used in making futomaki Sushi. Kampyo is hard to find in the stores. It is easier to order online but do not store too long.
- 2 oz. (50g) dried gourd (Kampyo)
- 1 cup dashi (or water)
- 5 Tbs sugar
- 5 Tbs mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 4 Tbs shoyu (soy sauce)
- Wash dried gourd (kampyo) is water. Rub with salt until soft. Rinse off in water. Soak in water for an hour. Bring water to boil and drain off water. Add dashi. Cook until crisp-tender. Add sugar, mirin, and shoyu. Cook over medium heat until juices have evaporated. Cool on a plate.
- You may cut the kampyo into 8" slices before cooking if you are going to use them for futomaki.
- Thanks to Kay Shimizu (Sushi at Home) for the recipe and the book.