- 1 Chicken, washed and gutted
- 4 tb jelly Mushrooms, washed and sliced lengthwise
- 4-5 shallots, peeled
- 1 dried Squid, soaked & washed, beaten to soften and thinly sliced
- 3-4 lg potatoes, washed & peeled and cut into cubes of .5 cm
- 2 hen's eggs made into a thin omelette, folded & cut into strips of 2 cm, then sliced thinly lengthwise
- 3 frangrance Mushrooms, soaked and thinly sliced
- spring Onion, green parts only, chopped
- coriander leaves, chopped
- fish sauce
- ground black pepper
- 1 whole spring Onion, bulb included
- 1 coriander roots
- 1 bowl Chinese vermicelli, soaked and cut up
- After preparing all the above ingredients, put a soup pot on the fire. In it put three metal jugfuls (3 pints) of water. Add a sprinkle of salt, the whole spring Onion and the coriander roots. Place the lid on the pot and leave it until the contents come to the boil. Then put the whole Chicken into the pot. Keep the lid on and leave it until the Chicken is well cooked.
- Take the pot off the fire. Remove the Chicken to a platter. Take off the breast meat only, shred this and put it on a plate.
- Pour the broth through a strainer. Place the pot of strained broth back on the fire and leave it until it comes to the boil. Then add the fish sauce, shallots and Mushrooms. When the shallots are cooked, add the potatoes, the shredded Chicken breast, Chinese vermicelli and Squid. When all these are cooked, taste and check the saltiness. Take the pot off the fire and add the sliced omelette.
- Serve the soup in a bowl and garnish it with the chopped spring Onion leaves and coriander leaves, and the ground black pepper. Serve with Jaew Kapi(Shrimp paste sauce).