Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This delicious recipe captures the great flavor of oven-roasted Lamb with Kashar Cheese in waxed paper. waxed paper keeps the moisture in, while allowing the meat and vegetables to further cook, while Kashar Cheese provides a smoked- meat like taste. If alcohol is appropriate, we recommend that you serve it with red wine or raki!
- 1½ pounds of boneless lamb, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tbs butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped dill or parsley
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 tbs red wine
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 tbs margarine
- 2 medium potatoes, sliced
- 4 sweet long green pepper
- ½ tsp thyme
- ¼ pound kashar cheese
- Sauté Lamb cubes in butter until light brown.
- Add onion, carrots, dill, salt (use very little salt because kashar cheese has it plenty!) and pepper. Continue to sauté 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- In a separate saucepan sauté garlic in 1tbs butter and add tomatoes and wine, continue stirring 5 more minutes.
- Add 1 cup of hot water to all of the above. Cook it over medium heat until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and carrots, leaving the juice in saucepan.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the margarine and sauté sliced potatoes and sweet green peppers.
- ix thyme, meat and carrots, potatoes and sweet green peppers.
- Divide the meat and vegetables into 4 portions. Grate kashar cheese over each portion. Cut double-folded wax paper into 4 pieces of 14 inch squares. Put each portion in the middle of the paper, making sure each gets the remaining juice equally. Wrap-up each portion by going over the top once and secure the two edges by folding in twice. You should have 4 square packages.
- Wet the bottom of a baking pan large enough to fit the packages, with a couple of spoons of water.
- Place packages in pan, loose ends securely tucked under. Wet package tops with a little water.
- Bake packages for 20 minutes. Remove packages right before serving.