Japanese pumpkin soup. A lovely pumpkin soup posted in response to a recipe request from an online source.
- 1 lb Japanese kabocha squash
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2⅓ cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper (to season)
- Cut pumpkin into large blocks and remove seeds.
- Place pumpkin on a plate and heat in microwave for one minute.
- Slice pumpkin thinly.
- Heat butter in saute pan and cook Onion slices until softened (not brown).
- Add pumpkin slices to the pan and saute.
- Add chicken bouillon and water and simmer vegetables until softened.
- When cooked, whirl the vegetables and broth in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Return to the pan and add milk.
- Heat the soup over low heat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.